Skip to main content

A New Line of Transceivers ~ DifX

Transceiver Architecture 2.13

Lets Build that 11.5 MHz Filter Part II

 
In Part 1, (2.12) we shared how we measured all 25 crystals and found a grouping of 9 that were essentially "carbon copies" of each other. I never play the lottery because of that exact situation. I suspect all lotteries are rigged and the likelihood of having nine exactly the same crystals is somehow rigged. So the first thing I will do is to re-measure all of those nine in hopes of finding 6 out of that batch that are exactly the same. That may happen yet today.
 
So once you have the crystals and the two frequencies that were measured on the G3URR oscillator proceed to the WA5BDU tutorial on how to calculate Lm and Cm. I made an assumption that the crystal holder capacitance was 3 PF --probably not good or bad. Regardless, using the equations provided by Nick Kennedy I found the Cm to be 16.356 Femptofarads (10 to the -15) and using that value you can calculate the Lm which is 11.7 MHy.
 
Now for the actual crystal filter calculator go to the ARRL QEX download page and for the year 2009 find the Zip file 11/09_Steder_Hardcastle and download to your computer. Do NOT place it in the Program Files or Application Files!!!!!!!! I have a directory called N6QW and in that directory I have a folder called Dishal --extract it to that folder. Milton Dishal wrote a piece of software to simulate crystal filters. Steder and Hardcastle take that software and turn it into "ham speak" so it can be used by people like me.
 
Now I had a problem with the QEX download --my computer kept telling me it contained a virus and promptly removed it from my computer no less than 3 times. The fourth time on the Zip file I used a tool called compatibility --it seems when I now use the Dishal software my computer thinks it is a windows XP machine and all works good.
 
Here is where the dishal software can save you lots of effort --if you enter the shifted frequencies it will actually calculate the Lm and Cm --and they match my hand calculation. After playing with it a bit I can see that it would be ideal to have six crystals in the filter and here is why. See below.
 
 
 
 
The first plus is the 3 dB bandwidth which is about 2.2 KHz and at 30 dB down is probably less than 3.0 KHz. The 20 dB numbers and 40 dB numbers look OK. It appears to have a more symmetrical shape ( a factor that improves by having more crystal in the filter), thus getting away from the idea of strictly an LSB filter.
 
I found out the pass band ripple is linked to the input impedance. In this case it is 102 ohms. 102/50 = 2.04 and if we did a 7 turn and 10 turn winding on a FT37-43 core we would have 100/49 = 2.04 --so a perfect match. But if you drop the ripple to 0.2 dB then the input impedance raises to 127 ohms and this is a ratio of 2.54 when transformed to 50 Ohms. So if we use an 8 turn and 5 turn winding on a FT37-43 core that transforms to 64/25 = 2.56 ---really close.
 
The software has a built in  LC matching network calculator so that you can essentially design "L Networks" for the matching. I prefer the broadband match.
 
The 0.2 dB pass band ripple also "twizzles" the caps so that the values are much nearer to close tolerance standard value caps. I have some low value air trimmer caps (0-15 PF) that could be paralleled with the standard values so that the filter will be dead on.
 
I also believe this filter will have to be built in such a way where the crystal cases are flat to a ground plane and the crystal can soldered to that plane. I will use SMA connectors to the filter and it will be totally enclosed in a metal box. This will be bullet proof.
 
My plan is to update this posting with the re-measuring of the 9 crystals --to see if I should play the lottery today.
 
73's
Pete N6QW




Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able