Skip to main content

A New Line of Transceivers ~ DifX

Transceiver Architecture 2.16

5/21/2017
I am now documenting the LM373 build on my website so see the
following LM373 Link So for those tired of seeing me gush over my vintage 1970's designed, new rig you will have some relief. Have made about 2 dozen contacts including some at 600 watts. You got to have power to make lots of contacts so get over that QRP stuff! Soon we will be back to the crystal filter build on the DifX.
 
73's
Pete N6QW

5/19/2017 ~ QSL Card from the 1st contact with the LM373 Transceiver. Here is proof! Also noteworthy I was running only 15 Watts and the Mosley 2 Element Beam. What fun! I am now up to 10 Contacts with the LM373 Rig.

Pete N6QW
 


5/17/2016 Some added photos of the innards of the LM373 rig. We have now made six contacts with the new rig. I still need to tidy up the wiring. Yes, I succumbed to an IRF510 in the output which is not my favorite RF device --but it was an expedient. I am redeploying the K5BCQ 5 Watt final to the DifX dual conversion rig. With the outboard amp this will now do in excess of 100 Watts -- more than QRP!!!!! In the last photo you can see the LM373 IC square in the middle of the photo. All that work being done with one IC. To the aide and aft of the 9.0 MHz crystal filter is the 11 VDC power supply and the N6QW solid state power switch. The relay on the back panel only switches the antenna between T and R and one extra set of contacts switches in the outboard amp. In addition to the final wiring clean up I will add some aluminum support structure so that the front/back panels are rigid. This rig has taken about six weeks to build with some of that time awaiting the new Rigol scope.
 
Pete N6QW




5/16/2017

While I gather up some high quality capacitors to build the six pole 11.5 MHz Crystal Filter, I wanted to share more exciting news about the new LM373 20 Meter SSB Transceiver. Yes that is a photo on the masthead --Pretty Cool Blue isn't it?
 
This transceiver is more than a one hit wonder as I now have made three contacts with the new rig and I am please at how it works. It is also important to note that it is not a bilateral approach and thus truly not a Bitx! By that I mean that signals pass through the IF stage (which is a single IC -- the LM373) and steering through the single direction stage is done with 1N914 signal diodes. On receive the receiver mixer stage (SBL-1) is connected to the front end and the BFO is injected into one port of the LM373. On transmit the output from another SBL-1 acting as the balanced modulator is fed into the front end and now the LO is introduced into the port where formerly we injected the BFO. The port where the audio is recovered on receive is now the transmit output stage. Thus three ports on the LM373 are switched in going from Receive to Transmit --all in a single 14 Pin Dip package!
 
As I often saw with analog VFO's and BFO's the transition from R to T frequently caused a shift in frequency because of the loading effect as the LO and BFO were shifted to other parts of the circuits. That is not the case with the Si5351 --there is no shift. This single pass through an IF stage in older designs employing Analog LO/BFO's was problematic in this aspect. I wrestled with this issue and had some elaborate schemes to mitigate the problem. The bilateral approach where the LO and BFO were not shifted was a solution. Now with the Si5351 this is a solution with a single pass approach.
 
I have challenged myself to use as much stuff as I have in the junk box without resorting to placing orders for parts and that has been very rewarding in that "you use what you have!"
 
Beyond the LM373 I am using my standard Audio Amp stage as well as the bidirectional 2N3904 amp stage and the driver with the 2N2222 and BD139 produces a whopping 400 MW. I now will add the 5 watt K5BCQ RF Power MOSFET board that uses the Mitsubishi RDD series of transistors. Right now the 400 MW is driving an outboard SS amp all the way to about 15 Watts output.
 
 
 
Touring the knobs, the left most smaller knob is the audio gain and the right one the microphone gain. The three switches on the bottom center are for USB/LSB, Tune (Red PB) and the right switch is the MOX. The right hand large knob (ala Drake R4B) is the main tuning knob. There was some careful thought (about 1 minute) to the panel layout relative to ergonomics. Since I am right handed the main tuning and step rate change is the most frequently used so it is to the right not unlike the Drake rigs!

The new Rigol DSO has been very useful as I worked on peaking a tweaking this new rig.

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able