Skip to main content

More Hacking of the Bitx40

Still even more Hacking of the Bitx40!

 

1/7/2017 ~ Dress up your OLED Display!

Same code works for the Color or Black and White OLED


So there is no reason why your Bitx40 cannot have the finished feature rich appearance just like those kilobuck black boxes. Imagine that when you show off your rig to your friends you can get the OOOhs and Ahhhs and "Gee how do I do that" comment. Well you could check the EMRFD reflector but you might not find it there. QST probably doesn't have it either. But N6QW does!

Here is what I am saying! The OLED will have one display feature during receive but hit the PTT and the OLED displays something else. Release the PTT and it goes back to the normal mode. Now how cool is that?

This feature only takes a small additional modification to the hack I provided to switch in line an external linear amplifier. Yes I figured out the code kink. Email me at n6qwham@gmail.com if you would like the code snippet. So aside from the code you will two diodes and one reed relay.

Another Bitx40 hack on the drawing boards is how to remotely start the coffee pot while you are in a QSO.

As Sir Winston Churchill so aptly said KBO!

73'ws
Pete N6QW

BTW the Black and White version was the original development work for use on a 20M Transceiver. When I got it working it was a short distance to the Bitx40. Find that on EMRFD or QST?

 
 
 
 


 

 

 

 

Yet another hack of the Bitx40!

1/7/2017 The Arduino Sketch will be posted on my website using the link below. It will be on the Phase 7 page link.


Think small and smaller! When I built my Bitx40, the display add on  kit which I think now is the standard was not available. So in true ham fashion I simply "rolled my own". I thought I really got things small when I used an 8X2 backlit LCD coupled with the Pro-Mini  and AD9850
 
Well now there is something even smaller which I have working. See below. The size is less than one inch on a side. There are four step tuning ranges and include 10, 100, 1K, and 10K Hz. I am still working out a "code kink" so that when you transmit the "Bitx40" is replaced by the message "On The Air".
 
With the OLED + Si5351 it should be possible to shrink even further the overall footprint of the Bitx40. Not only is the physical size smaller; but the power requirements are significantly reduced. The new configuration will have the OLED, Pro-Mini and the Si5351.
 
Yes I could just buy the add on kit --but the rig was designed to be hacked!!!!!
 
73's
Pete N6QW 

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able