Skip to main content

FPM5 -- Coming Down the Homestretch!

FPM5 ~ The Final Assembly is on the Threshold!

December 8, 2016 ~ TRGHS (The radio Gods have spoken)

Something weird happened today! At about 10:00 AM two boxes showed up at my door step. One was the wire needed for wiring up the FPM5 plus a couple of 8X2 LCD's and some other  parts. Now I can get started in earnest with the final wiring phase of the FPM5. The second box was addressed to me complete with my call sign and the return address was from a person in New Mexico. That seemed strange as I hadn't purchased anything not even on eBay.
 
So I open the box and contained therein are three rolls of solder. Hey cool something I can use --I am burning lots of solder these days. But I was mystified. Then I had a TRGHS moment and realized what was going on.
 
Several weeks ago I checked into the Albuquerque Boat Anchor Net. The check in process involves identifying your station and what sort of boat anchor gear you are running. I could hardly contain myself as I explained that the basis of my rig was the hallicrafters FPM300 which had been re-incarnated as the FPM-5. I directed those on the net to look at my QRZ page for details. Well as it turned out every time the net meets there is a secret rig selected and if you are running that gear you get the prize. The night I checked in, the mystery rig was anything hallicrafters --- Boom that is what I was running and thus being the only person running that kind of gear the prize was all mine --which in this case was three rolls of solder! The actual prize was not announced only that I won --- yes TRGHS. Thank you Boat Anchor Net!
 
Pete N6QW

December 7, 2016 ~ More Final Assembly Installations

Today I installed boards in the box! Lots of measuring and hole marking and then final drilling. One serendipitous event was that initially I bent up (using my vise [or for my friends in the UK my vice]) a U shaped heat sink. Since the 5 watt PA board will be mounted directly to the back apron, the bent up sheet metal would now be redundant. But by using some aluminum [aluminium] pillars this heat sink has been turned into a shield cover over the PA board. Nice! Below are some of the installations into the case. Believe it or not -- I am out of hook up wire an am now awaiting a shipment. This will hold up final wiring and integration.
 
 




Note the Shielded PA Enclosure on the back apron



Shielded PA Enclosure

 
There are two more board installations including the mainboard and the power supply board. The plan is to vertically mount the power supply board on the back side of the LPF board. There are some other smaller installations such as terminal strips and a 4 P DPDT relay
 
I have built and installed the 15M BPF but now need to address the 15M LPF. There is one open position on the BPF and LPF Boards. Instead of 10 Meters I may install a set of filters for 60 Meters. Stay tuned.
 
73's
Pete N6QW



December 6, 2016 ~ Band Switch Demo


December 6, 2016

I really think it is all going to fit in the box. Now before you jump on the comments about why did I make it so big and why couldn't the box have been smaller, let me share some experience with you. In the Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur (SSDRA a book which I consider a more useful publication than EMRFD) the very last project from W7ZOI is what is called A Competition Grade CW Receiver which later morphs into a trans-receiver.
 
I built that jewel only went to extremes and built every module into an individual aluminum mini-box. All power was passed into the boxes using feed through capacitors and all signals in and out were via RCA connectors. Enter the first problem --if you wanted to adjust something or troubleshoot a problem, this required a major disassembly. Frankly it was quite hard to get to some of the circuit wiring once the boards were installed in the boxes. The really great idea was a disaster! One time in that rose garden and you soon know the roses look beautiful but the stems have thorns!
 
So a word or two about shielding. I marvel at how some complete radios are built on a single circuit board and there is no shielding and there doesn't seem to be feedback problems. The newest rig, known as the Bitx40 from Farhan VU2ESE has a whole transceiver on a board 5 X 5 inches and seems to have resolved that issue. I on the other hand am not always so lucky. But I do strongly feel shielding is a good idea as is a common ground plane. Thus my approach to CNC the circuits on common ground plane modules is part of my shielding approach.
 
Another is some physical separation to reduce the possibility of unwanted coupling. Thus there are three reasons for the box size.
 
  1. Ease of maintenance and troubleshooting -- I will be able to get scope probes into the various circuit boards to facilitate maintenance and repair.
  2. To provide physical separation between various circuit elements to reduce unwanted coupling. But there also is a consideration of actual circuit flow and how signals are routed. Experience gained from the Tri-Band XCVR built in 2009 and the KWM-4 built in 2012/2013 has played a major role in the decisions regarding the FPM5.
  3. The use of copper boards provides a shielding factor and the physical placement provides that shielding and the fact that the boards are copper and connected to the main chassis, we have one common ground plane.
So here are some shots of the additional fit checking and board placement. The Low Pass Filter Board and Band Pass filter board will essentially be at right angles to each other and physically separated. The bi-directional (Rx RF Amp and Tx Pre-Driver) module is shielded from the main board and the Tx driver stage is a short physical distance from this board. This will keep RF leads to a minimum.

Rough Location of the Boards. The Final Tx RF Amp is mounted on the back wall of the case.

It is all coming together! But right now it looks terrible!


73's
 
Pete N6QW


December 5, 2016

Some really good news -- thanks in large measure to the efforts of Greg, VK1VXG, I now have the capability of when you move the band switch to a new band the new band starting frequency will display. Thanks to all who emailed me and made various suggestions --your efforts are very much appreciated. So we can now cross that off of the list.
 
Now it is time to get serious about putting the FPM5 into a case. I have noodled what the case should look like at completion and made it large --10 X 13 X 4. The basic metal work was completed today and now it is time to arrange the various circuit boards. My first pass has enlightened me that I will need to make a few adjustments such as placing some of the circuit boards in a vertical position. Realizing this could happen I made the widths of the boards so that they could be installed in a vertical position. In some ways this will also facilitate shielding and will place the boards in a position for maintenance and adjustment. The template was first set with my KWM-4 project.
 
Here is a sneak peek at the enclosure:
 
Front Panel

Front Panel Close Up

Side view of board real estate area

Oblique view of the Front Panel

Fit Check of Circuit Boards. This is a good view of the original FPM300 Mainboard

More Fit Checking




Thanks for riding along --hope to have this done before New Years.
 
73's
Pete N6QW
 

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able