Skip to main content

Taking a Break!

Are you tired of seeing me post about my rigs?

9/28/2016 ~ Some recent updates

I have often said that most of my rigs are experimenter's platforms and the Junk Box Rig stands as an example of that approach. Everyday I look at possibilities for improvement --some changes are in the negative column but many are in the positive direction. Usually I employ the concept of TFMS when "peaking and tweaking" a rig. Oh almost forgot TFMS is an old timer term for Tune For Maximum Smoke. Well in this case when I had the rig outfitted to run 700 Watts out (Yes, Virginia, that is not QRP) I found that I got a report of splatter. One of those Flex Guys saw me pop up on his 60 inch color display and he reported I was very broad and splattering over onto other frequencies.
 
He was absolutely right! If you are running QRP at one watt --there may be splatter that is hardly noticed but magnify that 700 times and you will notice that your signal is broad and spilling over the normal bandwidth. A simple adjustment of the microphone gain can cure that problem. So out comes the scope and I was indeed flat topping and lowering the gain didn't actually impact the PEP output but did immeasurably improve the signal quality and cleaned up the spectral purity. For reference purpose a 1 watt signal is 30 dBm and a 700 watt signal is  58.5 dBm. So you will hear that very large elephant in the room!

Once I reduced the microphone gain, the Flex guy was  happy and so now I was happy too! WE have a responsibility as hams to put out the cleanest signal possible! I am now ever vigilant to not let that happen again. The positive side was that my PNP audio amp was no wimp and I had a gentle reminder about flat topping and splatter.
 
Rummaging through the junk box I found a 2SC2166 on a board and swapped out the 2SC2075.  Now 5 watts out is an easy goal. I also made a change on the driver board where normally the EMRFD circuit has a 2N3904 driving a 2N3866 but in my circuit I have a 2N2222 driving a BD139. In the emitter lead of the 2N3904 (my 2N2222) there is a 22 Ohm resistor to ground. I replaced that resistor with a 200 Ohm pot. The center wiper is connected to ground and the top lead is connected to the 2N2222. This enables me to adjust the stage gain. When I drive the 100 watt intermediate amp ahead of the SB200, I have it set so the Junk Box Rig outputs 1 watt as that is about the max level input to the intermediate amp. In the TFMS QRP mode (without any amplifiers) I can adjust that pot for 5 watts output from the 2SC2166.
 
On 9/27/2016 I made a 400 mile hop to San Francisco from my QTH near Los Angeles running 1 watt out on 40 Meters. Not a lot of signal strength but readable. But I must confess that 40M QSO's to the mid-west are much better running 700 watts!
 
Recap: Beefier RF Transistor, Watch for Flat Topping, Variable RF Output, QRP QSO's.
 
73's
Pete N6QW

9/21/2016 Revised Microphone Amplifier and plot. (See Comments)

Revised Schematic to limit the frequency response.

Output Plot of the revised shematic

Here is a chance to tell me what is on your bench and if you have attempted to build any of my projects.

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able