Skip to main content

Building a new antenna at N6QW ~ Part II

The all important "Engineering" of the project.

I learned a long time ago that the "front end engineering" of a project is the critical success factor whether it is building a new radio or installing an antenna. I have coined a term that I call "noodling" where much time is spent researching the background information and where the alternative analyses are evaluated. When the mast is 1/2 way up in the air, that is not the time to think about will this assembly support the antenna or will it come crashing to the ground. Haste does make waste and you must never forget that sage advice when engaging in a new project.
 
When I installed the current  fiberglass antenna mast I created a plot plan of my house, where I assessed the available real estate and possible site locations of the support mast. Surprise! I found that my options were really limited when considering the length of the Extended Double Zepp, the attachment point to the eaves and choosing the best direction for working DX. That plot plan analysis is shown below and for the most part the same location of the new support mast would serve the beam installation.
 
The critical factors for the beam install is rotational clearance as the element lengths are in the range 28 feet long and that the eave support is readily accessible. The current concrete base for the fiberglass pole is somewhat diminutive and is unsuitable for the beam mast and so a new base must be designed. The third photo in the series explains it all and the new base will be about three times that size.   Since the beam will be rotational the best direction to point the beam is merely a matter of spinning the rotator to that direction. By the way whether I am designing circuit boards or new antennas the old fashion "quad pad" graph paper I find is an invaluable tool to visualize the project and this is where I started. In Part I, I mentioned that my current QTH is a postage stamp sized lot -- the noodling sketch surely affirms that statement.
 

 
 
So far we have "noodled" several pieces of critical information for the beam installation:
 
  1. The current location of the fiberglass mast is suitable for the beam mast as we satisfy the rotational clearance requirement and there is access to the eave so that the lower part of the mast will be anchored to the house structure using a homebrew house bracket similar (but more robust) to the fiberglass bracket.
  2. The concrete base must be larger in size since the clevis assembly will be affixed to the concrete base using 5/8 Inch by 12 inch long galvanized anchor bolts. The new base will be a cube of about 1.5 feet in each direction. The current base is much smaller and contains a stub piece of pipe where the fiberglass bottom section simply slips onto the stub.
There is a chimney quite near the current mast which is shown below and the mast location in relation to this chimney has several implications. The chimney is 17 feet high and thus installing the beam on the mast presents some "clearance" issues which are best thought of now rather than later. The beam boom is about 6 feet long which means the boom to mast bracket is located at about midpoint thus about 3 feet either side of the mast. A critical dimension is the measure of the distance of the boom as it extends past the chimney. A further critical dimension is that the beam MUST be higher than 17 feet for a full rotation. The second photo below shows the current mast and gives a rough feel of these dimensional considerations.
 

 
 
The discussion so far should give weight to the level of analysis involved to effect a successful installation. Stay tuned. Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able